Federal Pre-Budget 2021 Consultations
We shared our recommendations for Budget 2021 to The House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance as part of their consultations for the 2021 federal budget. We emphasized the need to invest in research, and to support graduate students across Canada. You can read our submission here.
Letter Writing Campaign – February 2020
Following the 2019 federal elections, we undertook a letter writing campaign to a large cohort of newly (re-)elected federal MPs to outline the broad importance of science policy in federal decision-making. We asked elected officials to develop a national science strategy which could include:
- All Canadians are empowered to engage with science
- All Canadians can receive scientific training, including advanced training, if they so choose
- Robust funding for the most promising scientific ideas our researchers have to offer
- Inclusion of provinces and municipalities in the discussion about Canadian science such that Canadians from coast-to-coast can reap the benefits of a knowledge-driven economy
- Evidence is prioritized in policy-making at all levels of government.